Sunday, June 30, 2013

Upholstered Bed w Nailhead Trim


My upholstered bed is finally complete (minus the comforter and pillows) and I am pretty pleased with the results.  It was a relatively easy project except for my insistence of completing an upholstered bed utilizing my old bed parts and making it detachable.  If someone wanted to alter this project to only create an upholstered nailhead trim headboard it would be an easy DIY project.

Below is a picture of my bed before any alterations which is drastically different from the look I want to create now.  I started by purchasing new wooden legs (I believe they were called Parson legs) from Lowe's along with the plates to attach them to the bed.  I used some leftover dark walnut stain.  

After taking the bed apart we created three pieces to make the bottom platform larger (both sides and the end).  This was done by created a box like structure with only three sides because that side will attach to the existing platform.  Then I attached the sides and attached the batting.  I wanted the mattress to sit inside the platform so there is about a two inch overhang on the top of the platform. Here is a picture of the platform and then another after it was covered with batting.
The headboard was then created from two pieces of plywood with three pieces of wood in between. These were placed on the edges and one in the middle.  I then covered the headboard with batting and fabric.  Then I added the silver nailhead trim.  Just so you know, they have nailhead trim that is a strip of nailheads where you only have to nail in every fifth nail or so instead of each and every nailhead.  I then attached the headboard and legs and finished the edges of the upholstered platform.  I am not in my forever home so I didn't want to create a bed that couldn't move outside the bedroom.  That meant that the sides would have to be detachable which made upholstering a little more difficult.  I tried to make the edges of the platform as seamless as I could by adding another piece of fabric about three inches wide and stapled.  

Once I purchase my new bedspread and create some accent pillows I think that I will love this project. It is definitely an upgrade from my outdated bed that I had before.  Please feel free to comment with any questions!

#upholstered , #nailhead , #bed , #DIY , #project