Monday, June 24, 2013

Update Boring Fabric Boxes with Fabric Marker

This was such an easy and inexpensive project and I really love how it looks on my industrial pipe shelving unit.  I used two gray fabric pens that I purchased from hobby lobby for about $1.50 each. I copied an ikat pattern with one simple stencil that I created and was done in less than 30 minutes. Stripes or another simple pattern would also look great!

I had this old fabric colored organization box that I constantly try and hide on my shelves.  The color wasn't great and it just wasn't anything to look at.  I bought a few fabric pens a while ago and just hadn't used them on anything.  I decided my shelving unit needed more pattern and thought this would be an easy DIY.  

First, I created the stencil which was almost a diamond shape but the corners are rounded and it is wider than it is tall.  Then I took the stencil and drew with a pencil on the box.  The fabric marker will cover it up later.  After stenciling it looks similar to this picture posted below.

Then I start coloring it in with the fabric pen and your done.  FYI Ikat is meant to be a little messy so don't be afraid of going outside your stencil lines.  It will still look great in the end.  I will post another picture of the fabric box on my shelving unit once I finish upholstering my bed and it no longer looks like a pigpen!

#diy #fabric #organization