Sunday, June 16, 2013

Easy Canvas Painting by Adding Water


This project is a canvas painting that I created by painting a layer of color and then simply adding layers of color and then water.  I used a damp dish sponge to help hide the brush strokes.  After the paint dried, I added a layer of varnish to achieve a glossy look.

Materials Used:
Acrylic paint in desired colors
Paintbrushes (I used one large and one very small)
Dish sponge
Canvas
Gloss Varnish

The canvas was purchased a long time ago when I tried another DIY canvas painting.  I outgrew the old painting so I decided to create a new one with the color scheme that I am now using.  Canvas can be purchased at any craft supply store and practically any size.  I knew that blue and green were going to be my main colors.  I started with the blue acrylic paint and added a little white to achieve the color that I wanted.  I think that the best way to make a painting look expensive is to add black and white to a color to customize it to your liking.  After the first layer of blue (while it was still wet) I started adding random horizontal lines of white, green, and navy colors. After placing the paintbrush in water I smeared the color more so the brush strokes were not as noticeable.  I then added a few vertical lines that were not very large to break up all of the horizontal lines.

I then took a damp dish sponge and smeared the colors more.  In some places the colors were a little too harsh so I added more of the blue paint to cover up some mistakes.  The more layers I added the more I liked the painting because it didn't look store bought.  Once I liked the look I added a coat of varnish that I purchased at hobby lobby.


#canvas , #painting , #diy