Thursday, May 8, 2014

Semi-DIY Fire Bowl with Fire Glass


Hello everyone!  It has been forever since my last post because I have been finishing up the last portion of my schooling.  I am going to start posting regularly again now that I will have more free time.  In addition, I will be moving in with my fiance in our new house in the next few weeks which means lots of DIY projects!  This project that I am going to share today is a semi-DIY fire bowl that was given to my mom last Mother's Day.  I purchased the fire bowl but traded the rocks for fire glass to create a more modern piece.

This was an easy project for me because all that I really changed was exchange the rocks for fire glass.  I called the company that I purchased the bowl from to make sure that it would still be safe and they assured me that it would be fine to exchange them.  Initially the fire bowl looks something like this...  

This exact one can be purchased on Amazon here for around $240.  The bowl uses a fuel and I searched and found an ecofriendly fuel that is so clean it can be used indoors.  The glass can be purchased here from Starfire Direct.  I choose the reflective cobalt to contrast the light gray fire bowl.  I believe (it has been a little while) that I purchased 10 lbs. and it fit perfectly.  Starfire Direct is running a promotion right now for 20% fire glass too!  I know that I have seen people make the concrete bowls for this and I would have loved to try that if I didn't have the Mother's Day time constraint.  However, she loves it and it looks great at night.  Now, she just needs a table to put it on:)

DIY Projects
Please comment if you have any questions or want to share how you completed your fire pit or bowl!