Monday, June 10, 2013

DIY Task Lamp Sconces- No Additional Electrical Wiring Necessary




I really wanted to add two wall sconces in my bedroom but did not want to deal with adding electrical wires in the wall.  I would love to do that one day but for right now I just needed to figure out a way to solve this issue with a simple DIY.  The most expensive part of this project was the two Edison light bulbs which were around $8 each at 1000bulbs.com.  I created the wooden bracket from a 2x2 piece of wood which is explained in more detail below.


Materials needed:
2x2 wood- Used a piece that was about 4 ft. tall
2 wire cages
2 Edison light bulbs
2 Lamp kits or reused from 2 previous lamps
Spray paint and stain as desired
Small cable to attach to the wall and a nail

The wooden bracket was the most difficult part of this project.  It took a few cuts to figure out how to angle the piece to fit how I wanted.  The back of the bracket has a vertical notch to allow the piece to fit flush with the wall with the cord going up.  A hole was added to run the cord through and another notch on the front piece to allow the task lamp to hang off the front.  I stained the bracket with a walnut finish and polyurethane.

The wire cage was purchased from 1000bulbs.com for around $4 and spray painted silver.  I had two lamps that I no longer wanted so I separated the cord from the lamp and reused the cords for this DIY project.  You may also purchase a lamp kits from any local hardware store.  I assembled the lamp and hung it up with a piece of cable that was attached with a stapler.  Below is a picture of the finished project when lit in the dark.  I will post an additional picture once I finish upholstering my bed and everything looks nice and cohesive.  Please comment with any questions.