Sunday, July 28, 2013

Boring Bowl to Decorative Basket

diy project

My next project was redoing a wooden bowl that I had sitting in a closet.  I love decorative baskets so I decided to use this rope that I purchased from Restore, which is associated with Habitat for Humanity. This was fairly quick and easy. I am still debating if I should add paint or not.
I was browsing Target and noticed this Nate Berkus Multi Colored Basket (pictured on the right).  It was a little pricey so I wanted to make this a DIY project.  If anyone loves the basket, it is on clearance for $19.98 now! 

I began by turning the bowl over and tracing it on a piece of cardboard that I would later use as the lid. After cutting the cardboard circle I was ready to start gluing the rope. There is a picture below with the glue that I used which made this project a lot easier.

Starting with the top of the bowl, I started wrapping the rope around and spraying the bowl as I went. After once in a while I would spray the rope and hold them together to prevent spaces.  Once I made it to the bottom of the bowl, I cut the rope and gave an extra spray of glue.  This rope was pretty thick so I used a pair of garden shears to cut the rope.

Next, I cut two circles in the middle of the lid that I would thread the rope through to made the handle.  I threaded the rope through but did not cut it.  Then I started wrapping the rope around the top, starting with the outer edges of the lid.  I used some tape to help keep it in place while I continued to glue the rope.  Once I made it to the middle, I cut the rope and added some glue to  make sure that it would hold.  To the right is a close up picture of the top.

I would suggest allowing it to dry for a little because the glue is extremely sticky!  As I said earlier, I think I will add some paint to the basket in the future and will add additional pictures if I do.  Please feel free to comment or ask a question!



#basket , #bowl , #diy , #project